Thursday, November 20, 2008

More Street Sightings

3 new occurrences for you to ponder:

1) The blind leading the blind. Yesterday I saw it. Literally. While blind sightings (pun intended) are frequent in the streets of Morocco, never before have I encountered the dilemma of two blind people, one cane. So the one in front uses the cane to find where they're going, and the other stands behind him and holds on for dear life. And, lucky for them, there are a number of kind bystanders to help them cross the busy streets. Sheesh.

2) Moroccan homeless women holding blonde babies. On a number of occasions now I have noticed street people with children that are definitely not biologically related. And I'm told that it's not uncommon for poor people to "rent" babies in the hopes of upping their donations from passersby. It's like the fake mutation du jour: other peoples' kids. I don't mean to sound insensitive or to make light of what is clearly a very serious issue. And I'm not in a position to analyze this phenomenon. I only bring it up as a point of interest that has me perplexed at the moment. Thought you might also be interested.

3) Michael Jackson, King of Peap. Every day I pass this slogan, etched on the wall of a building near my house. Of what, exactly, do they think he is king? I'm assuming it's intended to reiterate what we all know: Michael Jackson is the king of pop. But with this spelling, I'm pronouncing it "peep", which comes uncomfortably close to the French "pipe" (also pronounced peep). In slang, "pipe" means fellatio. Perhaps this graffiti artist knows something the tabloids don't...

That's all for now. I promise to tell you something more substantive soon. I haven't been sharing the more serious thoughts publicly yet. Perhaps I don't yet have the words.

No comments: