Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Shweya b Shweya (Little by Little)

Me and Stuart before experiencing Rabat nightlife

A big part of the Fulbright mission is to make connections between societies by starting on the individual level. I take this part of my "job" to heart and find it not only highly important, but personally rewarding to make "bridges" between the American and Moroccan parts of my life. That includes little things like writing this blog and entertaining guests from abroad.
This past week my friend Stuart included Morocco on his fabulous post-graduation world tour. I was delighted (!!!) to show him Rabat and Fes and spend time catching up. Plus, Stuart's world travels put him in a unique position to provide insights on Morocco as compared to other countries. I'm just pleased that my living in Rabat opened the door for him to include this amazing place on his travel list. It's an odd reality that having guests also opens me up to new experiences "touring" that I wouldn't otherwise take. I've been living in Rabat for 7 months and for the first time walked to the historic Chellah since Stuart was here. We spend so much time separating ourselves from the "tourists" that we can miss out on special cultural opportunities. So playing "tour guide" gives us those experiences.

Stuart overlooking the Fes medina


Here are some pictures from the last 5 days so you can be included, too:

The Merenid tombs, overlooking Fes

Stuart in the Middle Atlas, from the Merenid Tombs

Me in the Chellah, in Rabat

THANKS FOR COMING, STUART!!!! And for the rest of you thinking about making the trip, I would be sooooooo delighted to be your tour guide:)


No comments: