Monday, January 19, 2009

Skiing in Marrakesh


Ok, so I didn't exactly ski. But I went to Marrakesh this past weekend to ski with my friend Matt, Meher and Issam. We had a long train ride but used it as an opportunity to play the guitar and write a new song (turns out I'm not a hopeless lyricist). Marrakesh was rainy and cold but we had a good walk around the old medina and the famous square where entertainers of all kinds can be found. We saw fortune tellers, dancers, snake charmers, story tellers and the like. To our great delight, we were able to stay with Issam's cousin and had a great time socializing with his friends.
On Saturday, we attempted to go up to Wucamden in the mountains and do some skiing. Instead, we spent an hour or so just getting a taxi arranged, 2 hours driving up, 2 hours sitting in a lodge waiting for the roads to clear up, and 2 hours driving back. We were frozen and disappointed, but happy to have seen the beautiful little towns and play in the snow. I'll never forget drying our socks by the fire and watching the news while the snow was falling.
Although our original intentions were never fully realized, the trip to Marrakesh was a great success. Meher, Matt, Issam and I all agreed that we make a fabulous traveling team and it doesn't get much better than snowball fights, dancing in discos, playing the guitar and shopping in souks for a weekend in Marrakesh.

1 comment:

bpmente said...

Rachel -

Your pictures look great, thanks for the updates! We miss you here in Dallas.

Is there a post in your future about what people in Morocco are saying about Obama? I'm curious...