Friday, March 20, 2009

Saharawia

I have a new favorite place on earth: a little town in the Sahara, about 60 km from Algeria, called M'hamid. Jess and I took a long weekend and found our way via 20 hours of bus travel through the mountains so we could see a music festival in the desert. Rather than even try to explain the spiritual repercussions of our journey, I'll post these photos so you can see for yourself.
The trip included 12 hours on a bus from Marrakesh on curvey (treacherous?) mountain roads. A new form of gorgeous every minute.
An example of the small towns we passed en route from Marrakesh to Ouarzazate and then to Zagora and finally M'hamid.
Old town M'hamid

Jess and I in the old part of M'hamid

Our new brothers in M'hamid were so welcoming and eager to show us Moroccan hospitality. They taught us more Arabic and showed us great kindness, including this "Saharawi scarving" in the desert to induct us into the group.
Our new friends drove us around to see the sights, including some camel stalls.

During one stop while we gathered gear to deliver to a nomad tent 2 hours farther into the desert, a group of boys became fascinated with Jess and me. We had fun chatting and doing somersaults before heading off to check on a camel with a bum foot.

Omar the Great: he was our main guide throughout our stay and is truly our brother now. We had tea with his family who decorated us with henna, rode around in the back of trucks, shared meals and moonlit desert nights by a fire. He was our right hand.

Of course, my favorite part was playing frisbee with Omar and Ibrahim at the camp! We slept at this Saharawi camp out in the dunes and enjoyed breakfast with the guys each day. On this particular occasion, we followed breakfast with some disc throwing. They were great players!

Sprinting for the disc during Nomad frisbee.

Needless to say, I will be back in M'hamid sooner than later. The trip is long (20 hours from Rabat) but totally 100% worth it. And now I have brothers waiting for me to welcome me with breezy, blue, wide open arms.

No comments: