Sunday, August 2, 2009

Surf's Up

It has been MONTHS since I posted because I have been traveling, entertaining guests and working on a new project. Now it's time for some updates, and little by little they'll be streaming in. Don't expect anything too deep, just basics on what I've been up to for now:)


Surfer girls, Jess and Rachel after our first day at Panorama Beach


The May/June Travel Extravaganza commenced with a visit from Jess's dad, Paul Newman (whom I've nicknamed GrandPaul, as he will be an honorary extra grandparent to any children I may one day procure). The three of us trekked down to Taghazout, a new favorite spot on the Atlantic coastline, just north of Agadir. The town is famous for surfing and doesn't have much else going on, besides the coolest surf instructor and guide extraordinaire, Younes.

Jess and Paul graciously let me mooch into some of their Daddy-Daughter time and engaged me in therapeutic conversations about life, goals and taking time to smell the roses. It was exactly what I needed and cemented my desire to around my Newman Muses for years to come.

GrandPaul et moi after a successful day of catching (baby) waves

I was a bit nervous about trying to surf given that the only thing that waves where I come from is fields of wheat. But I took to the water immediately and was inspired by Jess and Paul's passion for surf. I stood up on my longboard a dozen or so times in our few hours in the water and was even able to get up on Jess's shorter board. I loved it!!

I'm hoping to find a way to get a board back in Rabat so I can walk to the beach and take advantage of my proximity to the water. I loved my first experiences with surfing and can't wait for more! Now I just have to train myself to stop whistling "Wipeout" or squeeling with delight everytime I catch a wave.

Satisfied Surfers at our hotel with a view

No comments: