I'm doing it- I'm heading back to Morocco! Only this time I'm not a silly study abroad student (see moroccanrachel.blogspot.com) but a silly Fulbrighter.
First off, let me be very very clear that this blog is not affiliated with the Fulbright program, nor do my mental meanderings in any way reflect official Fulbright positions. This is just a place for me to reflect on my experiences and share my journey with friends, family and whichever of you weirdos I've never met may be reading this...
The grand adventure begins in less than 36 hours and is the product of years of aspirations and the hard work of the many Rachel Markowitz supporters out there (what's up, Dr. Dowwwwwwwwwwww! You too, Harpham, you know I'm talking to you.). Before I go, I've been prepping in many ways.
1) Retail Preparedness: buying outdoor gear so I won't freeze my ass off without indoor heating this time around, stocking up on socks and appropriate summer dresses, iodine tablets for the village times, tennis shoes to last a year...etc
2) Reading: I'm planning to read approximately eleventy billion times more with the free time this year will provide so I mailed a ton of used books to myself. I know what you're thinking, "How can you possibly expect to have MORE free time on Fulbright than as an undergrad student???" I'll tell you- I won't be juggling as many balls or hoops or flaming batons. No student organizations, no major volunteer projects, no grant applications, no....ultimate frisbee, no..........friends. It doesn't sound like a dream when I say it like that, but believe me, I'm excited! I've already started reading and don't plan to stop until Christmas 2009 when I get back. Or maybe never.
3) Arabic: had to take a preliminary Arabic test today so the Critical Language Enhancement people can judge how much I learn in the next 5 months. Turns out I have nowhere to go but up. The poor lady who's native language I slaughtered today on my phone interview evaluation had to have developed a migraine from the mere 7 minutes it took to determine my form deserves an enormous check in the "BEGINNER" box. Sheesh, I have a lot to learn.
4) Dreaming: of arabic and french, beaches and souks, my old Moroccan friends and the new that are sure to come.
5) Packing: that's what I'm supposed to be doing right now, anyway.
Before I get back to the one woman packing party that is the next 24 hours of my life, let me clarify exactly what I'm getting myself into here. I will arrive in Rabat on Sunday the 7th of September for a few days of orientation with Fulbright. I will simultaneously be chillin bizaff (a lot) with the great Liza Baron and Jory Hearst of previous study abroad fame. Then I have 5 months of intensive Arabic study at the good ole Center for Cross Cultural Learning. After that, research! I'll be studying Alternative Dispute Resolution from March-November 2009 as an independent project. But more on that later.
Nexstop Guides
15 years ago

1 comment:
It's great that your blog up and operational already, Rachel. Looking forward to seeing you in a few hours in Overland Park. Hopefully your "packing party" will be all finished by then! Missing you already, Dad
Post a Comment